Camping trips can be a thrill, especially if you have everything you need to make the trip as convenient as possible. Backpacking trips are not that convenient because you can only take a few things. You will have a difficult time moving around with many things, so taking something as large as a mini-fridge is not the question.
Still, things will be somewhat different if you plan to take a car camping trip. You will be able to take many things, including one of those great camping refrigerators that will keep all your food and drinks cool. You can even choose from the various type of mini-fridges currently available.
I have created this guide to help you learn more about mini-fridges, how they work, where to put them, and which are the best mini-fridges to consider. So, stick around if you want to learn how to improve your camping experience by using camping fridges!
Can You Use Mini Fridge for Camping?
You can certainly use a mini-fridge for camping – this is a great idea if you plan to go to the campsite by car. The mini-fridge is a convenient way to keep all your things from going bad during the trip. So, I recommend taking one on any trip that allows it.
If you do not have a mini-fridge, you should consider getting one as soon as possible. I will give you a few options below, but for the time being, I want to tell you why you need such a fridge. There are a few options for you to consider, including the mini compression fridge and the convection mini-fridge.
With the former, you will have a compressed chamber that keeps the fridge cool at all times. Most such fridges are great at keeping a constant temperature, allowing all your things to stay ice cold even if you are camping on a hot summer day. Even better, you can power the fridge on solar energy, which means you will not have to depend on electric hookups.
As for the latter, you will have a fan on the fridge that will take the hot air, convert it to cold air, and use it to chill the contents. The best thing about a mini cooler like this is that you can also use it to keep things hot. Still, you should keep in mind that these fridges are not as cold and not quite suitable for longer trips.
Whatever type of mini fridge you go for, I do not doubt you will love using it. As opposed to regular freezers, the mini-fridge will not need any ice. So, you will not have to worry about the ice from the inside melting and making a mess. Also, you will not need to deal with ice taking up half the space inside the fridge.
The thing with mini-fridges is that they are not one-size-fits-all. You should try various types of fridges and decide which fits your needs best. Then, do not hesitate to go out and get it before your next trip to the great outdoors!
Can You Have a Mini Fridge in a Tent?
Many people want to know if they can put their mini-fridge in the tent overnight or when they leave the campsite for a short while. While you can fit a mini-fridge inside a tent, I do not recommend keeping it there. There are several reasons why this might not be the best decision.
First, you want the ambient temperature in the tent to be pleasant so that you can stay in the tent without being too hot. If you put the mini-fridge in the tent, the fans that keep the fridge cool will blow all the warm air into your tent. When you enter the tent, you will find it unpleasant to sleep and relax.
Second, you should not keep your mini-fridge in your tent because there might be wild animals that smell the food and come lurking. Instead of having them come to your tent and tear things up, keep the fridge away from the tent. If possible, keep the fridge in your car so that the car insulation will hide the smell of food from the animals.
If you must keep the fridge outside of the car, ensure it is away from your tent and campsite. That way, if wild animals come to check out where the smell comes from, they will pass your campsite and go only to the fridge. After all, staying safe is better than being attacked by hungry animals.
Suppose you are visiting a campsite with electrical hookups. In that case, chances are that you will need to keep the fridge even further from your camp. There are usually designated areas where you can keep fridges and cooking equipment. If you still want to have the fridge close to you, consider getting one that can charge on solar panels.
What Type of Fridge Is Best for Camping?
There is no need to worry if you still do not have a mini-fridge – I can help you make an educated decision, getting one that is perfect for you. In this guide, I will include my top 3 camping mini-fridges. If you want to learn more about them, make sure that you check out the detailed guides below:
Euhomy 12-volt RV Refrigerator for Camping and Home Use
Euhomy has created a fantastic freezer that people can use at home and on camping trips. The inside of the freezer is divided into two sections. Still, both sections are highly efficient at keeping all your things cool. The entire freezer uses little energy, so you will not have to worry about it affecting your car battery or electricity bill.
If you want to use the freezer in your car, you must attach it to an adapter. There are 12 and 24-volt adapters that you can use with this freezer. Whiles attached and detached from the adapters, the freezer will make little to no noise, while it is also completely shockproof.
- DUAL STORAGE AREA&POWERFUL CAPACITY - Euhomy car refrigerator is equipped with two zone. Dual storage areas can reduce odor. Portable refrigerator freezer allows you to store a variety of foods while...
- HIGH EFFICIENCY&LOW ENERGY CONSUMPTION - Euhomy 12 volt freezer adopts advanced 3D refrigeration technology and is equipped with a powerful compressor for fast cooling. Our 12v freezer has UL...
- SMART BATTERY PROTECTION&HOME/CAR DUAL-USE - Euhomy car fridge 12v is equipped with 110/240V AC and 12/24V DC adapters, which can be used at home or in the car. The RV refrigerator provides three...
Dual storage area
Low energy consumption
Smart battery protection
Silent and shockproof
Bluetooth connection possible
LCD panel operation
Does not reach a high cooling temperature
I regard this mini-fridge as a great option for people who want to get a dual-option cooler. You can use one part as the fridge and the other as the freezer, which is quite convenient. If you want to learn more about this mini-fridge, you can check it out HERE.
BougeRV 12-volt Portable Freezer Compressor Cooler for Camping
The second option for this guide is the BougeRV car fridge. Do not let the RV in the name make you think that you can use this fridge only in the RV – you can also use it in your car whenever you are car camping. The size is very convenient, so you should be able to place it wherever you want.
This mini-fridge has a control display panel that allows you to set the temperature without any problem. The PP durable shell will keep the freezer cool at all times, while the rubber sealing ring will not let the cool air escape.
- 【 Warranty&Certification】BougeRV guarantees you a 2-year warranty for the compressor and other accessories . If you have any questions, please reach out to BougeRV, we provide 24h friendly...
- 【Fast Cooling Down to 32℉】With Compressor refrigeration technology, this 12v car refrigerator could achieve 20 min fast cooling from 77℉ to 32℉ and 50 min from 77℉ to -5℉, keeping your...
- 【45W Low Power Consumption】With ECO energy saving mode, this 23 Qt portable refrigerator's operating power is less than 45W. Even running on MAX mode, it consumes far less than 1kwh/day for its...
- Fast cooling option
- Low power consumption
- Quiet and shockproof
- Three-level battery protection
- The display can malfunction shortly
This is another excellent option for you to consider, especially if you are on a tighter budget. Thinking that it is more affordable than the first option, you should look into it more and see if it fits your needs. To see more details on this mini-fridge, click HERE.
AstroAI 12-volt Car Refrigerator for Camping, Travel, Fishing, Outdoor
The third and final option is the AstroAI mini-fridge for camping, traveling, and other outdoor trips. As the most affordable of the three fridges, you might expect it not to be on the same level as the previous ones. But this fridge is amazing, and I recommend it to everyone.
The powerful compressor on this fridge allows you to keep all kinds of food in the cooling chamber. The chamber is quite large, and there is a LED display that you can use to adjust the temperature. With the ECO mode, you will not use much energy. At the same time, battery protection allows you to protect your car battery.
- LARGE CAPACITY: Our 12 volt refrigerator, with its large 15L capacity and 13.8"(L)x 9.6"(W) x 7.1"(H) interior dimensions, works as a fridge or freezer to keep items like beverages, fruits, ice cream,...
- FAST COOLING: With its powerful compressor, the car refrigerator can cool up to 95°F in 30 minutes when empty; it takes about an hour to reach its lowest temperature of -4°F. Choose between MAX mode...
- BATTERY PROTECTION: Includes three levels of battery protection: low, medium, and high. The portable freezer reduces power consumption to the desired level, protects your vehicle battery from running...
- Large capacity chamber
- Fast cooling
- Battery protection
- Functional design
- Various adapters available
- It could be a bit loud when turned on
This might not be the best mini-fridge out there, but it is a great choice for people looking to take a small freezer with them on trips. You can use the freezer to keep all your food and drinks cool for several days while charging in the meantime is also possible. To learn more about the mini-fridge, you can click HERE.
Thank you for checking out this guide on camping mini-fridges. I hope you learned a lot of valuable information, the best ones you should consider if you are on the market for a mini-fridge. Remember that you should not keep the fridge in the tent, and you should also take one only if you travel by car.
Do you have a camping refrigerator you would like to recommend to the readers and me? If you do, please tell us what makes it so great and where people can get it. I cannot wait to read all your suggestions!
- Does Waterproofing Spray Actually Work on Tents? - July 22, 2022
- How to Inflate an Air Bed without a Pump? [Most Effective Ways] - July 21, 2022
- How to Get Rid of Tent Caterpillars with Dawn Soap? - July 21, 2022